[IP] I finally got to go to diabetes camp!!!!! :)

I just came home after volunteering to do origami projects for three
days at a diabetes camp. I was there for 3 days, and got to hang out
with the kids (age 8 - 13, and CITs, age 15 - 18), and it was FUN!!!!!

One of the kids asked me if I was diabetic and I showed her my pump, and
she said diabetics are COOL!!!!  :)

It really IS fun to be able to make diabetes jokes, and complain about
testing, and have people know what to do when you say you're low! They
had diabetes education games, and I discovered I don't know
everything!!!  :)

The food was typical camp food, except that each kid had a card with how
many carbs they could have for each meal, and were allowed to choose
carbs accordingly. They also got a consultation with a doc about how
much insulin to take for each shot (about 20% were pumpers), and why
they might have gone high or low since the last consultation.

There were 2 endocrinologists there, plus a bunch of medical
students, and the docs gave lectures while the kids had quiet hour. So I
sat in on the lectures.

I FINALLY got a good answer to the question of why you should try to
keep your insulin dose as low as possible: insulin down-regulates its
own receptors, so if there's too much insulin, there will be fewer
receptors -- I think it's a feedback loop so that the cells will not be
overwhelmed with too much glucose coming inside them. If there are fewer
receptors, that means more insulin resistance and more glucose stays in
the blood.

This doc said that if a Type 2 is using over 100 units a day, then
that's pretty much the limit -- increasing the dose won't help much --
but that's why the addition of metformin or another insulin sensitizer
is a good choice.

He also said that Type 1's get insulin resistance too -- and that even
in children, if they're obese and on large doses of insulin, he uses

This doc was pretty much anti-low-carb, because he said there is no
evidence of improved OUTCOMES -- he said that although it might improve
numbers, you still don't know if it will prevent complications or
cardiac disease.  I think this is a case where the principle has to be
"my body, my science experiment" -- because although docs can practice
according to research findings, WE only have one chance. And if we blow
it, at least we took our own gamble and can't blame anyone else!
(Personally, I'm not low-carbing, because I seem to be doing fine as is,
but if it's working for you, then I'm not going to criticize it!!  :)  )

The other thing the doc said is that genetic insulin resistance is
present in about 25% of the population, BUT it's really a bell-curve
kind of thing, which means that the definition of insulin resistance is
actually an arbitrary cutoff. He felt that if you have the genetics for
high insulin resistance, if you get obese, you'll get Type 2, and felt
that the answer was preventing obesity. In other words, if you are
insulin-resistant but stay slender, you won't get Type 2 diabetes. I
wonder how realistic it is in our modern sit-at-the-computer society to
expect people to be ABLE to stay slender! I don't think it's as much of
a choice as some people seem to think! (When I gained weight, it wasn't
on purpose, and when I lost weight, it wasn't intentional, either)

Anyway, more thoughts as they come to me, but I thought this one was
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted