RE: [IP] Stastics on Pump Users

Christy Schneider [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Does anyone know of a reliable source of information
> that tracks the number of patients who started on a
> pump and then went back to injections?  I would be
> curious to see actual data on this subject.

I've just completed a cursory Medline search and was able to find no
information about this.  FWIW, I *DID* find a couple of papers supporting
pump use (on particularly in pediatric diabetics (i.e. kids with DM)), and
another finding no association between adverse side effects and pump use.
One was a peer reviewed paper (Maniatis, et al., Continuous Subcutaneous
Insulin Infusion Therapy for Children and Adolescents: An Option for Routine
Diabetes Care. Pediatrics Vol 107, Number 2, February, 2001) and the other
an editorial in the British Medical Journal (John Pickup and Harry Keen.
Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion in Type 1 Diabetes is beneficial in
selected patients and should be more widely available. BMJ, May, 2001).

I'd be interested in where this resident got her information as well.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR