RE: [IP] When to call Doctor

Hi Michelle:
I usually don't call the dr.  and treat myself.  If my b.g. are high, I
check for keytones and if they are any shade of purple, I start dosing 1 U
insulin per hour, eat some pretzels and drink lots and lots of water to
rehydrate.  I keep doing this until I no longer have keytones and my b.g.
returns to normal.

As far as going up to 600, if it were me, I would bolus one half of my
correction bolus and then wait at least two hours and if it was still high,
take a little more insulin at a time.  My body usually winds up collecting
the insulin and then I crash so I have to do it a little at a time.

Hope this helps
Kathy B.