[IP] Re: Pumping Saline

In a message dated 8/9/01 12:22:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My son, Kyle (12), started pumping saline on August 6th.  He is using the
Disetronic D-tron.  ... put in the site by himself on the first try.
   Does anyone wear the pump while swimming, or is it better to
 disconnect?  I think we are going to love the pump >>

Congrats to Kyle!  I think that is fantastic that a 12 year old put in his
site himself!!

    You know that the D-tron is waterproof, so its quite easy to just swim
with it.  My daughter has the H-tron (no longer considered waterproof by
Disetronic) and usually disconnects for swimming at her friend's house, but
she keeps it on at waterparks.  Keep in mind that a list member had his
D-tron stolen along with a small cooler when he was disconnected earlier this
    If Kyle does choose to disconnect, make sure that you bolus/prime about 1
unit before reconnecting, as the insulin does seem to back up in the tubing a
little way.  Sometimes only .5 is needed, but we usually do 1 unit, till we
see the drop coming out.
    I'm pretty sure you will love the pump.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7