[IP] Baltimore Oriole - insulin pump!

 <A HREF="http://www.sunspot.net/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes08aug08.story?coll=bal%2Dsports%2Dmore">sunspot.net - orioles/baseball</A>
Johnson is satisfied by turn from 10 losses last season to 10 wins
W. Roberts getting closer to trying closer's role By Joe Strauss
Sun Staff
Originally published August 8, 2001

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Jason Johnson quietly celebrated a realized goal yesterday
by taking a 20-minute jog in 100-degree heat inside Kauffman Stadium.
Dripping wet and searching for his breath, Johnson allowed himself
satisfaction from achieving the 10-win season many would have thought
preposterous as he entered spring training, after his 1-10 calamity in 2000.
Johnson's latest victory came in Monday's 9-6 win over the Kansas City Royals
in a game the Royals led 3-0 and mashed 15 hits. Johnson lasted 5 2/3 innings
before handing the game to relievers B.J. Ryan, Willis Roberts, Alan Mills
and Buddy Groom. "I knew I was better [than 1-10]," said Johnson, now 10-6.
"I think everybody else wasn't sure. I'm glad I'm better than that." Added
Johnson, who also boasts a 3.18 ERA that ranks third in the American League:
"I look at it as a big accomplishment. I came into the season thinking, 'If I
can only get 10 wins ... ' Now that I've reached that goal, I want 15."
Johnson's turnaround can be attributed to greater confidence, a more
consistent work routine allowed by a pump to moderate the diabetic's insulin
intake and a healthy arm. The Orioles are 12-11 in Johnson's starts, 34-56 in
all others going into last night. "I'm really happy with what I've been able
to do so far," Johnson said. "But I don't want to get in a situation where
I'm satisfied. I want to keep pushing." Johnson is acutely aware of his
quality starts - games in which he allows three earned runs or fewer in at
least six innings. Monday night's ouster nagged him because he missed the
minimum six innings by one out thanks to Royals second baseman Carlos Febles'
two-out, RBI single. "That one pitch got to me," Johnson said. "I hung a
curve and he didn't miss it. He got one through the middle for a hit. I threw
six straight fastballs that he couldn't catch up to. Then I throw a curve to
speed up his bat and he gets a hit."