From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of Bonnie Richardson
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 1:58 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Doc vs Doc

Heather and Dr. Spot:
Spot said:  >> If you already like your endo, stay with him and
don't let this destroy your relationship. good docs are hard to find
out there. spot<<<

Spot is right - not only is there a shortage of endocrinologists, but
good ones are very hard to find!   This problem can be worked out.

We just had the identical experience in my household....My
daughter was being treated by a local Gastro guy, and she was not
getting the desired results...we kept trying with him, and he finally
threw up his hands and sent her to the Hospital Pain Clinic.   After
a year of unsuccessfull treatments, I insisted we go to Mayo's
(Jacksonville, FL is the closest one).

What an incredibly wonderful place....I have never experienced
anything like the way we were treated at Mayo's.  It costs no more
than regular docs.  Each patient starts with a team of docs who
tests you from tip of head to toenail...amazing.   We learned more
about my daughter's problems and related issues in three days
there then we did in two years here.  This team then gets together
and comes up with results/plan/prognosis/course of treatment, etc.
Takes a minimum of 3-4 days just to get through it all.  Most folks
are there at least a week.

To resolve the territorial issues with two docs, which was really
based on a) local doc having hurt feelings from our not thinking that
doc was good enough, b) big problem taking orders from another
doc on treatment and c) getting in conflicts over treatment, her
primary doc at Mayo's wrote a letter to my daughter explaining
what they found, what they recommended and the wish that
hopefully her local doc (and the Mayo's doc called him by name in
the letter) would continue working with her and feel free to contact
them if they had any comments or ideas about the best course of
treatment.  Jennifer (the daughter) personally went in with a copy of
the letter for her doc, told him what kinds of things had been found
out, asked him to help her through these treatments because she
knew he was the best in town....blah, blah, blah.

You know what?  It worked. And he wouldn't speak to her when he
found out she was going down there.  Now, her doc here is using
the recommendations from Mayo's, found her a physical therapist
to use the very specialized therapies from Mayo's and even called
the Mayo's doc once, and now they are buddies....

But then, Mayo's is amazing.  I have always heard Joslin is a
wonderful place.  Maybe you could work out something similar with
them and your local endo.  Depending on what the results are, of
course.   Good luck, keep us posted.
Bonnie R.