[IP] RE: Static Electricity reference

Carrie wrote:
<It blows my mind that static electricity can kill a 5000+ piece of machinery,
but it did... live and learn I guess...>
The static electricity is overwhelming the very sensitive computer chip inside
of that expensive machinery.  Here's a good primer on ESD & how it occurs & why
it's a problem.  The article notes it as a problem since the early
manufacturing days of the 1400's.  So it's nothing new to pumps - it's just
that the microprocessors or other computer chips used in pumps are very
sensitive to the large voltage charges generated as the electrostatic charge
dissipates through them (like 10,000 V).   Your desktop computer would not fare
any better than the pump under the same conditions - it's just too big to walk
across the carpet with, or to wear while brushing your hair.

>From the pump side, it is a big fear that we have for Luke's pump, so we just
keep it in the silver-lined leather case, with about 1/3 of a used dryer sheet
wrapped up against it.  Thanks Jan Hughey for that tip that so far has
protected us from any issues, even on the McDonald's plastic playscape today
that had my daughter's hair standing on end!  Luke came out right behind her
with no pump issues.

Good luck,
Shelly V, mom to Luke, 6, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 + to Trevor 11 & Kate 8

Do You Yahoo!?