Re: [IP] insulin resistance

In a message dated 8/6/01 5:46:53 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I have recently been diagnosed
 with insulin resistance. I do not have NIDDM or high blood sugars. The endo
 am seeing (not the same one my son goes to) has told me I need to go on a
 carb diet.  She said I should start with Protein Power to lose weight and
 then go on SugarBusters.  Has anyone on here tried that?  I am uneasy with
 almost eliminating an entire food group, but the doctor tells me this diet
 and exercise is the only treatment for my problem and could potentially head
 off full blown Type II Diabetes. >>

Hi Annette

Exercise is a good choice, because it sensitizes the body to insulin. But
many docs give Glucophage to patients whose insulin resistance need to be
lowered. For example, it's prescribed for women with polycystic ovarian
syndrome, which has insulin resistance as a factor. Two other drugs often
prescribed are Actos and Avandia, but both of those cause water-weight gain.
Also during a study of type 2s in Great Britain, Glucophage was noted to
lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, which is enhanced by the body
manufacturing an overabundance of insulin to make up for the resistance.

I'm with you on not wanting to cut out entire food groups. I don't think
that's healthy.

Jan and Elvis