Re: [IP] Hot tubs & pumps

> SO... my question to all of you is... do I have to be
> concerned with the infusion site?  Will the high
> temperature effect it at all?  Any suggestions or
> personal experiences with what I should and should not
> do when near the hot tub?

Be aware that insulin absorbs more rapidly from tissue that has
dialilated blood vessels --- i.e. hot skin. If you take a big
bolus.... say for dinner, then jump in the tub you might get a little
low because of the faster absorption. This is usually not a problem,
but my daughter has noticed it when taking a hot shower after dinner.

The heat itself is not really a problem as YOU are generally as warm
as the tub itself. The infusion site will not have any problems not
experienced with swimming -- you may need a skin prep on a routine
basis, but that solves the "sticky" problem for most swimmers (kids
excepted :-)