[IP] brittle diabetics

I was sooo happy to see your post - after all the posts from everyone else
getting great test results and A1c's, finally someone like me who, try as I
may, just can't control this darn diabetes. Although I can't control it, I
can manage it and that's the best I can hope for.
I have been pumping for 3 1/2 years now. My A1c's went from 6.5 to 6.8
before pumping to 7.1 to 7.4 after pumping. Of course, that's only because I
no longer get the frequent lows that helped bring down the average. I test
frequently and have found that if I am at about 225 one hour after eating (I
rarely test then because I don't like that number influencing my averages on
the software for my meter downloads) and about 185 two hours after eating
then I should be okay when I check before my next meal. My bg's are also
greatly affected by even the smallest amount of stress. Most of this stress
I wouldn't even classify as stress except for the fact that my bg goes
crazy, usually rising but very occasionally falling???
Humalog is never completely gone after 3 hours (I use the short cannula
because I'm on the thin side). If I have more than about 2 ounces of meat at
dinner (6:00 p.m.) then my bg will start to rise somewhere around midnight
so obviously a square wave bolus at dinner is out of the question. It's hard
to start a higher temporary basal at that time of night if a bg is around
115 so then I just get up around 2:00 p.m. and see what's happening and deal
with it then.
I think part of my problem is the small amount of insulin I use. A tenth of
a unit too much or too little is enough to cause a problem with control. My
basal rate only adds up to a total of 5.9 units per day. Per day, I usually
take about 20 units, basal and bolus.
All in all, I do feel better using the pump and lows are very infrequent. I
love sleeping in when I can and not having to eat unless I want to. The
freedom is so great. Even if my control never improves beyond where it is
now, the lifestyle advantages with the pump are fantastic. I have frequently
been told how much more outgoing, happier and relaxed I am since going on
the pump.
My motto is  keep trying but be happy with doing your best. . . Donna