[IP] Parents with Diabetic Children

I was diagnosed at the age of 13 and my mom was diagnosed at the age of 40
with type I Diabetes.  I was talking to her about it tonight and she said
that she never treated me differently because I had D.  She tried to treat me
like she always had and never kept me home from doing things because of it.
I still ran track, was a cheerleader, gymnast and dancer.  I always stayed
the night at my friends homes and they never thought anything of me checking
my sugars or giving shots.  I guess I was fortunate to have a mother with the
same disease because we always kept each other in line with everything and we
understood each other.

 I know that you parents out there with diabetic children take is personally
that your child has this disease.  It is nothing that you have done to cause
your child to get this disease.  It chooses who it wants and takes them all
by surprise.  It took my whole family by surprinse that both my mom and I
have it.  It is supposedly supposed to skip a generation but so far my
daughter (now 2 1/2) has no signs of diabetes and I hope she never gets it.

Just be there to support your child in whatever they choose to do and let
them take responsibility as early as possible in learning to deal with their
disease.  The best thing you can do for your child is make them check their
own sugars and give their own shots.  It teaches them responsibility and how
to care for themselves in case you are unable to do it for some reason.

Just my 2 cents worth - thanks for listening