[IP] "clustering" of autoimmune disorders

Although there doesn't seem to be a great deal of publish research on the
subject, my family history would indicate that there is some correlation
between diagnosis of autoimmune disorders, both within families and for
individuals.  Not to confuse the issue further (since there are two more
Type 1's among my mother's siblings, here's my father's side of the family,
two generations only)

me--polyglandular autoimmune disorder (they think.  so far, Type 1,
Hashimoto's thyroiditis)
my father--rheumatic heart disorder
next oldest brother--type 1
next oldest sister--rheumatic heart disorder
two youngest siblings--clear so far
their mother (my grandmother)--ALS  there are also other members of her
extended family with ALS, MS and Type 1
first cousin--lupus
my sister--either rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or MS (they're not quite sure
there are a total of 18 persons within these two generations.  1/3 seems
like an uncommonly high occurrence.

BTW, I've always felt that my particular autoimmune disorder is the "best"
of the bunch.  Even if there is no cure, at least there's a treatment.
That's better odds than many of the others.