[IP] Re: Parents of DM'rs

Sometimes I think I tried so hard to put on this act that caring for my son and his diabetes was no big deal.  I was afraid if I went to the place inside of me that was so overwhelmed and so afraid I wouldn't be able to do all the things I needed to do.  On night about a year ago my dear son was giving me an incredible amount of grief about changing his pump or something like that.  He finally broke down and said how much he hated diabetes and all he had to do to take care of it. When I said that I did too and all the things I had to do he looked shocked.  I  told him how sad I was for him and how having diabetes totally "SUCKED".  Now I never use that word so I think my message to him came across loud and clear. I was working so hard trying to make him see that I didn't resent him for having diabetes that I never let him see how I hated his disease and what it did to him.  I think I gave him a really mixed message.  We of course cried together for the first time since the dx.!
 He was 13 by then so I think he
 was able to understand my feelings. Well I felt better releasing a little bit of grief and learned that I need to let him know how I feel too, not about him, but about this unrelenting disease.  Sorry for ranting.
Janet in Ohio