Subject: [IP] taking a break?

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:07:47 -0400
From: "Julie Britt" <email @ redacted>

Does anyone ever feel the need to take a break from the pump?  I mean just
for a day or 2 between changing sites just go on shots again.  Sometimes I
just don't want to be connected. you know?  So, what do you do?  I only have
a prescription for humalog, and wouldn't want to take any long acting
anyways because it would linger in my system.  So that means a shot every 4
hours.  How do you remind yourself to do that?  Is this safe?  If I go off
the pump at all and switch to shots, even for less than a whole day, I feel
like total crap and end up with high bgs and ketones.  There's got to be a
way.  any ideas?

I've done this at the shore or at pool parties where i don't want the pump
in tow or on my clothes. use a cheap pill timer set it for four hours. when
it buzzes do your bg and use an insulin pen to take an injection of humulog.
if you want a longer acting insulin use the regular. not as good as a pump
but satisfy your curiosity. Pens are good at the shore they are discreet and
work well.