[IP]Pump Trainers was RE: Animas question

Kerri wrote:
This is probably true ONLY if the CDE is also a pump trainer for a specific
pump company/ies (they may be a pump trainer for one, two, or all three
companies.) If they are a CDE but NOT a pump trainer for the pump
company/ies then they do NOT receive commissions from the pump companies.
I checked into becoming a pump trainer for each company and at the time
(Nov-Dec 2000) only Disetronic did not require its trainers to be an RN or
CDE, or have some other medical degree/background. But it has been implied
to me since then that Disetronic is or will be moving in that direction at
some point as well. So there are probably some CDE's (who are JUST CDE's)
out there not receiving any commissions at all, but probably a lot who are
CDE's AND pump trainers who are.

As pumptrainer for Disetronic and who is not a medically trained person I am
only allowed to teach the technical operation of the pump.  Any Medical
questions have to be referred back to the treating Physician.  As for the
"commission"  you speak of.......my contract with Disetronic specifically
states that I am NOT an employee of Disetronic and that I will not present
myself as a representative of Disetronic.  I am a contractor for them and am
under a 2 year contract.   As for what I get paid by Disetronic it's $150
period.  It could take me two hours to train someone or it could take me
three 2 hour sessions  it doesn't matter I get paid no more than the $150.
There is a check list that I have to get signed by myself,  the patient, and
sometimes the doctor to confirm that I have provided adequate training.  And
if there is something I left out or need to cover again for the patient then
I have to do it with no additional pay. It's in my interest to do it right
and thorough the first time. Also I make myself available to the people I
train if the ever have any further questions about operation the pump.  I
don't get paid for that.  There's really not a lot of money to be made as a
trainer unless you are training people (meaning more than one) everyday of
the week.

As for disclosing facts .... Disetronic has not been the best with keeping
me informed of changes so I don't think your trainers really can be held
accountable for that.  I didn't even know about the change in the H-tron not
being water proof until I read it here and got my notice from Disetronic.
And I was in close contact with my area rep. and the doctor I trained for at
that time.

Just thought I'd share I little light.

Sheila Morris
Whose pump training days have been put on hold since moving to Texas because
TX law requires trainers to be medical personnel.