Re: [IP] taking a break?

In a message dated 8/2/2001 12:09:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Does anyone ever feel the need to take a break from the pump?  I mean just
> for a day or 2 between changing sites just go on shots again.  Sometimes I
> just don't want to be connected. you know?  So, what do you do?  I only
> have
> a prescription for humalog, and wouldn't want to take any long acting
> anyways because it would linger in my system.  So that means a shot every 4
> hours.  How do you remind yourself to do that?  Is this safe?  If I go off
> the pump at all and switch to shots, even for less than a whole day, I feel
> like total crap and end up with high bgs and ketones.  There's got to be a
> way.  any ideas?
> Julie

 I went off the pump a couple times. I did it on a Sunday and took Humalin R
, 2 units every 3 hours or so I went back on the pump a few hours before bed
and cut my Basil rate to just about nothing so I would not bottom out In my
sleep its a little risky and my control went to hell that day. I also did it
once before on vacation when I decided to hang at the pool all day but
vacations and changing things around tend to spell trouble for me. I also
used Humalog as a Bolis a couple times. The last time I did it was when my
pump fried out and I had to wait a day for them to send me a new one. My
advice DON'T DO IT!