Re: [IP] Animas Question

In a message dated 8/1/2001 9:06:04 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> ?  They said they replaced all their pumps in the spring of this
> year.

My 10 year old daughter has been using an Animas pump for two months with no
problems -- In fact, we LOVE it!  So easy to use, the smallest basal dose
increments currently available (and, for us, even a difference of 5/100ths of
a unit in her hourly basal was noticeable), and waterproof means you dont
HAVE to disconnect for showers, baths and summer fun in the sun (which has
been great during the last 3 weeks here in Hawaii!).

The Animas pump has only been available for about a year and half, so lots of
docs & CDEs still don't have any first hand experience with it . . . I'm
guessing that what your CDE may be talking about with the "replaced all their
pumps" comment is really a misinterpretation of the upgrade this past spring
which greatly expanded the amount of history (total insulin, total basal,
alarms, and boluses) that is stored in the pump's memory -- it now stores 255
data points for each of those things.  There may have been other upgrades
included with the release of the Animas R-1000A, but the expanded history is
what I'm aware of . . . so that "replacement" of their pumps was really just
an enhancement . . .

All the pumps are good pumps that will benefit your child -- FDA approval for
these devices does not come easily!  So, choosing between the pumps is really
a matter of deciding which set of features best meets your child's needs and
will do the most to help you in managing his/her diabetes . . . For us, it
was clear that the Animas pump was the best choice for us . . .

PumpMama to Katie (age 10, dx'x 11-00) and happily pumping since 6-1-01 with
"Elvis" her Animas R-1000A insulin pump