RE: [IP] Animas Question

Jim Handsfield wrote:
> Erin wrote:
> > I think the reason why the Animas is discouraged by Jan's CDE
> > (and mine, for
> > that matter) is because Animas, from what I understand, has had a long
> > history of pump failure.
> I've not heard of Animas having a higher failure rate than either MiniMed or
> Disetronic.  There was a hoax shortly after the Animas pump was approved
> that, IIRC, spoke of a recall, but that was quickly debunked.  Besides -
> Animas has been on the market for only about a year . . . hardly enough time
> to develop a "long history" of failures.

Animas did have a self-initiated recall in March when their quality
control found some possilby defective pressure vents.  No problems were
ever reported.  You can find reference to this recall at their website.
But this whole thing was blown way out of proportion as Animas has
continued to be the victim of recall and failure rumors.

--Tad Seyler