RE: [IP] Animas Question

I think the reason why the Animas is discouraged by Jan's CDE (and mine, for
that matter) is because Animas, from what I understand, has had a long
history of pump failure.  When my CDE was explaining the difference between
the three major pump brands to me (Minimed, Diseltronic, Animas) she said
not only did Animas have to recall their pumps, but that the patients she
had personally put on Animas had a dismal time pumping with them--the pump
deciding to fail to pump insulin in the middle of the night but still
looking like it was pumping from the outside, for example.  It's my bet that
the reason why the CDE Jan uses for her daughter discourages the Animas pump
has a lot more to do with these kinds of statistics behind that particular
brand of pump than which pumps about which she is personally knowledgeable.
I realize it's probably a little bit of a catch-22 when you need to be able
to give a five-year-old tiny doses of insulin, but you sure as heck don't
want to rush her to the ER with DKA because it took too long to figure out
her pump hadn't been working in 24 hours.

My advice to Jan would be this:
When you next talk to the CDE, lay everything on the table for her.  Ask her
specifically why she doesn't like the Animas (if she hasn't told you
already); my guess is it has to do with their pump failure record.  Explain
to her that the reason you were attracted to that pump in the first place
had to do with the itty-bitty doses of insulin your daughter requires, and
that you're concerned that the Minimed and Diseltronic pumps may not be able
to give her the precise, small doses that she requires.  If she's worth what
you're probably paying to see her, she should be able to look at how much
insulin your daughter is taking now and figure out whether that could
effectively translate to basals and boluses on the Minimed and/or Diseltron.
If her doses just can't translate, maybe she can recommend some alternatives
as to what you might do.  I'm sure that you're wary to cough up, in
conjunction with your insurance company, a big chunk of change for a machine
that is apt to cause you headaches or worse--compromise your daughter's

Again, that's just my advice.  It's possible that problems with Animas were
exaggerated when they were relayed to me, and going on one might not be the
earth-shattering mega-risk my medical staff made it sound like it was.

Erin :)
age 20, diagnosed 5/87