Re: [IP] new Doc

I have to say that I would think twice about this doctor. I was diagnosed
with diabetes when I was 14 and my doctor made all the difference in the
world. He let me know that it was ultimately up to me for control and he was
there just as a guide and a voice of reason. The doctor you saw seems more
like a control freak and a salesman.

I was pretty good as a teen. Sure I fell "off the wagon" a few times with
control and diet but it was my choice. Almost all teens rebel, for me this
was just one more to add to the list. A no or low carb diet just isn't right
for a teen. You are growing and changing a lot at that time and you really
can't go out with your friends and say that you need a low carb meal and
feel like you are "fitting in." It was hard enough, at least for me at the
time, to eat sugar free stuff in front of other people.

You may want to try another doc since you do want Jared to build a rapport
with a doc that will last for a long time. I'm 26 now and I am always
thankful for my first doc (he is now doing research) who guided me and left
the decisions on control up to me (and my parents). It is that feeling of
control and confidence that allowed me to eventually go on the pump and care
for myself and know that I am doing right. I personally do not like docs
that say that I have to do it their way because it just doesn't work for me.
My life is too crazy and constantly changing. I have had one doc that was
like that. I left him in the dust because he wanted me to change jobs just
so I could eat at regular times, hello! that is why I went on the pump. My
current doc and I now discuss things about my control and we work together
and I don't need a book for that.

On a side note, I have read the Diabetic Man and didn't care for it much
myself.. That's just my opinion though, it was a little too rigid for my
taste. And I have never taken supplements, let alone cod liver oil I've
found that the best kind of doc knows that things change and no one system
works for everyone. Working with a patient to fine tune what
s right for him/her is the best kind.

Just my $0.02