RE: [IP] Animas Question

I don't have any experience with the Animas pump, but I do have some advise
for your situation.   I currently wear a Minimed508 and at the time I chose
it in November of 1999 it was the best choice FOR ME.  I am a strong
believer in picking the pump that will best fit your lifestyle.  Since your
daughter is so young and the Animas offers the advantage of smaller doses,
and size that should be the pump that you choose for her regardless of the
direction the pump reps and even your educator is pushing.

As for your Pump Educator I think it is important to open up a line of
communication with her about the Animas pump and why you think it is best
for your daughter.  It is very possible that your educator prefers the
Minimed because she has more patients on it and more experience with it.  My
pump educator prefers it for that reason, but does support the other brands
if her patients choose to go that way.  However, knowing about the specific
brand pump and how to operate it isn't the whole picture of what an educator
can help you with.  Any parent or person advocating the pump for themselves
will probably read the manual that comes with it cover to cover before
hooking up, so those items should be the least of your concerns.

Let the educator know that she will be MOST valuable to you in figuring out
what rates to start your daughter off with and how to do all of the basal
tests, carb tests, etc that are needed to get originally regulated on the
pump. That doesn't change depending on the pump you are on.  The advantage
you will have is that the rates can be tweaked more specifically with the
Animas then on the other pumps.  Your educator will also have advice on
which infusion sets (as will this list) to use, and tips and tricks  for
taping them down in various weather.

Make sure that when you meet with her you bring the manual for the animas,
or any information you can have before that, and acknowledge that this is a
learning experience for both of you and you are willing to learn with her.
Let her know that you are planning on staying with the Doctor and because
she works with the office you want to work with her.

And on a side note...welcome Charlotte, NC member!  My parents live in
Charlotte and I was just back for a few days a couple of weeks ago.  I am
still trying to convince my Dad (also a Type 1) to get on one.  I know I
have my mom convinced...but my dad is another story. :)

-- Sherry