[IP] no phones

Melissa wrote about her recent experience at band camp with no phones and her
worry about what is something were to happen and she needed assistance...

Now, for you sensitive people. the following is NOT an attack or flame
towards Melissa, so I hope no one takes it that way...and if you do, then you
read it wrong, and if you think you MIGHT take it as that, then stop reading

My feeling is "one" (meaning the universal "we") must take responsibility for
one's own self.  In all situations.  at all times.  Sure, you can not control
EVERYTHING, ALL the time, but life is not meant to be safe and obstacle
free...I think that is what they refer to as "heaven" and I am not ready to
go there yet, even if it means no more worrying about diabetes.   You,
meaning we, meaning I, have to take into account all the variables and figure
out the best course of action.

First of all, if you were that troubled by the no phone problem, or to
broaden it to make it less Melissa specific and more general, if you are
going somewhere where you might NOT have access to a phone...say the
Canyonlands of Utah, then go buy or rent one.  Cellular phones, or a digital
email pager or a palm VII.  In fact i even recently saw an ad for a Motorola
(I think) phone) that, when activated by pushing a button, AUTOMATICALLY
dials 911, no matter where you are...whatever...there are myriad ways of
staying in contact.

Problems can and do happen.  ANyone that says life can be perfect and dandy
is trying to sell you something.  What would  you do if your electricity was
off...My home phone will not work if the power into the base unit is not
plugged in.  What if your airplane crashed and you ended up on a desert
island...no  phones there.  What if it was the 911 people of strike...even if
you had a phone, how would you get your ambulance?  Sure, in Melissa's case,
this is a DORM, for gods sake, civilization, modern technology and all that,
heck phones ought to be standard issue here of all places, but again, we must
all remember that old girl scout adage....BE PREPARED.

In the second place, Melissa writes that she EXPECTED to have lows and was
pleasantly surprised not to have them.  I am not sure how long Melissa has
been pumping, but I hope she, and everyone else knows that YOU have the
control of what the pump gives you...the pump does NOT control the diabetes.
THe diabetic controls the diabetes.  If there is ANY doubt as to where food
is coming from or how much unexpected exercise you are going to get, you can
ALWAYS turn down your basal rates.  You can give correction boluses if
necessary, but WAY better to run a little higher, than risk a debilitating
low if you think you might get one.

Thirdly, if you DO suffer from unexpected lows, then I highly recommend you
raise your target range...ESPECIALLY when you are in a foreign or unknown
situation..It is ALWAYS better to run a little on the high side.  You can FIX
a high...comas and death from high blood sugar are relatively slow in
coming...it is the quick drops that are hard to head off at the pass.

4th.  You had a roommate.  Take 10 minutes, give her diabetes 101 and teach
her   how to administer your glucagon.  If she doesnt want to do it, talk to
the person next door...in fact, might not be a bad idea to have a couple of
back ups in case the roommate gets lucky and doesn't come home one night!
Even if the phone WAS working, those minutes it takes to get to 911, dispatch
an ambulance, find their way to your dorm, get up those 6 flights of
stairs...or do they wait for the elevator these days, are minutes that you
could have used to recover.

Bottom line is don't LET yourself get into precarious situations.  I am a
person who lives life on the utter EDGE, but I always have what I need to
take care of my diabetes.  I may not have a check in my check book when i get
to the grocery store.  I may not have my subway card when I get to the
station, but I ALWAYS have my meter and dex tabs.  if you have tendancies to
pass out or whatever when you are low, then don't go low!  If you don't feel
your lows, then raise your target range for a while and get the sensations
back.  Lower your basals if you are in doubt.

Sara, who is anxious to try the new minimed dex tabs flavored fruit punch!!!
sounds yummy!