[IP] Re: Administrative procedures, students using insulin pumps

Below is copied from the OSHA regs.  By this definition, I would take blowing
one's nose a hazardous event, sometimes there are specks of blood in it.  If I
objected to the walk to the back of the class, I would argue that unless similar
procedures for blowing one's nose or having an open wound were instigated then
it would be discriminatory to impose such on my child, alone.

I would think that a remedy would be to have a small box or shield on the desk
that would "minimize splashing, spraying, spattering, and generation of
droplets".  There is already such low risk of this that concern for it is
overkill.  Other than that, the sharps can be adequately contained in the lancet
device and case.  Sharps and other material to be disposed of at home.

Curtis Lomax

"Occupational Exposure" means reasonably anticipated skin, eye, mucous membrane,
or parenteral contact with blood or other potentially infectious materials that
may result from the performance of an employee's duties.

"Other Potentially Infectious Materials" means (1) The following human body
fluids: semen, vaginal secretions, cerebrospinal fluid, synovial fluid, pleural
fluid, pericardial fluid, peritoneal fluid, amniotic fluid, saliva in dental
procedures, any body fluid that is visibly contaminated with blood, and all body
fluids in situations where it is difficult or impossible to differentiate
between body fluids; (2) Any unfixed tissue or organ (other than intact skin)
from a human (living or dead); and (3) HIV-containing cell or tissue cultures,
organ cultures, and HIV- or HBV-containing culture medium or other solutions;
and blood, organs, or other tissues from experimental animals infected with HIV
or HBV.

"Regulated Waste" means liquid or semi-liquid blood or other potentially
infectious materials; contaminated items that would release blood or other
potentially infectious materials in a liquid or semi-liquid state if compressed;
items that are caked with dried blood or other potentially infectious materials
and are capable of releasing these materials during handling; contaminated
sharps; and pathological and microbiological wastes containing blood or other
potentially infectious materials.

"All procedures involving blood or other potentially infectious materials shall
be performed in such a manner as to minimize splashing, spraying, spattering,
and generation of droplets of these substances."