[IP] Family Education

I have snipped parts of Sherry's post below, then I have some comments after
the gist has been comprehended.
> From: "Sherry Compton" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Family Education?
>  I was against the idea at first (pumping), but finally my
> doctor wore me down enough to consider the idea.  <snip>
> What has bothered me so far is other people's reactions.  <snip>
> I do feel that our friends and family should make the effort to educate
> themselves more. Maybe we need to sit them down and make them
> take notes, I don't know. I wish there was a pump support group or
> something around here.  Except for when reading this digest, I feel alone
> most of the time.

You say you were against the idea of pumping at first, and it's YOUR DM,
YOUR life. (I'm not screaming, I'm trying to make a point.)  Your doctor had
to wear you down. With the other people, they haven't been worn down (yet)
and it is not their disease. To other people, you (we) are *other people.*
Some don't want to deal with what is not theirs; they can go on with their
lives without the cumbersomeness (whew!) of our 24/7 *stuff*!! Many, many
of us on this list do not have family support. I got it when I
was a kid of 11.5 and here it is 50 years later and my mom still can't
accept it (me) and the *flaw* of her child. Denial is not a river in Egypt.
But, I still have to deal with this.

I was the president of our local DM support group for 2.5 years, and a board
member of the the bigger umbrella organization for 8 years. But, I felt very
alone because the group was mainly for T-2s - there was a group for parents
of children DMers, but where did I fit in? I wrote letters to ADA Forecast
begging for articles on kids who have grown up but not outgown DM - still
living with it and nothing ever came through. With the 'net pump groups I
have found others like I am. I'm not alone in this, even though no one
around me can really understand - nor cares to. My hugsband has become much
more aware since I've been on the 'net and share a lot of the stuff with
him. He now knows also that I'm not alone. We cannot force someone else to
learn, no matter how well, nor how often we teach. Ask a school teacher. lol

Therefore, find your support on this list, and know you are not alone in the
lack of others' involvement with your concerns/care. A very close relative
*was* very offended when I showed people my pump and said, "If we are around
you long enough, this subject will come up. No one cares to hear about you;
you're going to die sooner than others anyway, so you might as well just
face it." That's a lot of support!!!

In summary, it took a lot of convincing for you, the owner of DM, to wear a
pump. The others who are 2nd-hand or further, will need a lot more
convincing - IF they drink the water they are led to.
cyberhugs {{{{{{}}}}}}}