[IP] Re: Administrative procedures, students using insulin pumps

I need feedback from parents or an attorney with regard to testing at THE
STUDENTS DESK.  The school district has finally realized that there are kids
who have been testing at the desk and sought the advice from their school
districts attorney.  Their procedure reads as follows:
glucose testing will not be permitted at the student's desk. All testing must
be completed away from other students in order to prohibit the possibility of
blood contaminationand/or blood splattering of other students. Upon
completion of testing, all sharps must be placed in an appropriated
container. ( they want the child to go to the back of the room. This must
occur from the elementary level through the high school level) When I
mentioned the 504 act(thankyou Curtis) and stated that my child's needs were
not being accommodated and that going to back of the room would be disruptive
to the educational process. His answer was "I must protect the other students
from blood born diseases, mostly hepatitis, and that this is not negotiable.
He, The director of student services, said there were 3 incidences of
exposure in 1999 from student testing. There is a meeting on 9/14 with the
school board. Can anybody help.  THANK YOU!!!     Alecia (mother of Ian,
pumping since 8/99)