Re: [IP] brownish smudges symptom of DM

08:28:00 Beth and Oscar wrote:
<<Can't seem to find the archives on insulin-pumpers page and couldn't get
in to member's only area. While back seem to remember a thread on brown
dirtlike smudges on skin showing up prior to DM diagnosis. My son has brown
spot on back of leg since birth and now a small brown spot on abdomen/side.
Doctors say my type 1 is not hereditary but want to know more about those
smudges. Thanks Beth & Oscar >>

Wow, a lot to talk about here!

1) You can find the archives by browsing to http://www.insulin-pumpers.org
then clicking the Search button.  When you are prompted for your user name
enter your full email address.  In your case it would be email @ redacted
When you're prompted for password enter pumper.  Be careful to enter them
both in all lower case letters.  You'll enter these same values to access
the Members Only site.  To get there browse to
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org then click the Members Only button.

2) I'm not familiar with the thread you're referring to on brown skin
smudges, but I know there was a similar one on a complication of diabetes
called necrobiosis lipidoica diabeticoricum early this summer.  As far as I
know this is not an indicator of diabetes, but a complication of it.  I've
never heard of smudges on the skin indicating impending diagnoisis, but I'm
not a medical professional, so take this for what it's worth.

3) Current thinking is that type I diabetes has both a hereditary aspect
and an environmental one.   A potential type I is predisposed to an
over-the-top auto-immune reaction to certain triggers, but unless or until
that person is exposed to the triggers, T1 won't develop.  Even given the
exposure T1 is not sure to develop.  Like everything else in life, it's a
crap shoot.