Re: [IP] brownish smudges symptom of DM

email @ redacted wrote:
> While back seem to remember a thread on brown dirtlike smudges on skin
> showing up prior to DM diagnosis. My son has brown spot on back of leg since
> birth and now a small brown spot on abdomen/side. Doctors say my type 1 is
> not hereditary but want to know more about those smudges.

I think what you're referring to is acanthosis nigricans, which is a
dirty looking ring around the neck, and on elbows and knees.

This can be a marker for Type 2 diabetes, particularly among Hispanic

I don't think it applies to your son -- he's probably not at great risk
for childhood Type 2, and his brown marks are probably just birthmarks
or nevi (fancy word for moles) -- but if you have any doubts, ask his
doctor what they are.

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted