[IP] Re: Family Education

I think you need to be VERY patient with your family, but also be very
proactive in educating them about diabetes and your pump.  My wife and I had
been married for almost 4 years when I had an episode that called for
glucagon in the middle of the night.  I guess I woke her up, but was unable
to communicate with her and too far gone to drink juice when she brought it
too me.  She was unable to find my glucagon kit (I have one in the bedside
nightstand now) and ended up calling 911.  Let me tell you, it is a little
weird to come out of it and have 2 paramedics, 2 firemen, and your spouse
all standing around the bed.

Needless to say, but that scared the HECK out of my wife and she not only
learned about using glucagon (the paramedic gave her a quick course), but
she started asking more questions and reading more about it.  I have her
check my Blood Sugar a couple of times per month just so she is "up" on how
to do that.  She also pulls out the glucagon kit and refamiliarizes herself
with it.

I hope your family can be educated without it going that far.  I think you
need to just be patient and answer questions (repeatedly) and try to teach
them about you & your diabetes.