[IP] static electricity and pumps

I haven't heard any static electricity stories from Disetronic
users, just MiniMed users, so I thought I would share what
happened to my daughter's pump last week.

My 10yo daughter attended her very first diabetes day camp last
week and her Disetronic pump (Hans) died almost as soon as she
got there on day 2. What happened was that they went in the
"moonwalk" which is a big, inflated jumping toy. Must have been
static electricity that shorted the batteries. The pump gave a
battery alarm for both batteries and then a system alarm. The
camp had pump supplies on hand so they tried putting in new
batteries. None of the *8* batteries they had worked (must have
been part of the bad batch)!!! (I didn't send any in my
daughter's backpack because when I asked about that at
orientation they said I didn't need to send anything.)
Thankfully, my friend (whose 8yo son was pumping but is now back
on MDI) was there and miraculously happened to have some
Disetronic batteries on hand. So the pump got fixed and all was
well again. When my daughter got home that day I put a piece of a
fabric softener sheet inside the pump case and put spare
batteries in a ziploc bag with some set changes, just in case.
Never had another problem after that.

Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children) due 4/12
"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Cherokee proverb