[IP] seizures

Two of my three kids have diabetes. Eric (14) was diagnosed at 20 months and
Sean (11) was diagnosed at 25 months.  Eric has had quite a few seizures from
low blood sugar through the years while Sean has never had one.  He's also
had some very strange neurological symptoms that passed when the low was
over.  The bad lows were never predicatable - he could be lucid at 20 or
seizing at 50 (I'm assuming in that case his sugar was rebounding while he
seized).  I was always grateful for the screaming that accompanied the
seizure - it alerted me to the problem.

The doctor told me that some people are more prone to neurological
manifestations with a severe low.  We assumed that his seizures were caused
by delayed reactions to exercise (he's a perpetual motion type kid).

The first two times we used glucagon.  It made him so violently ill afterward
that we decided to avoid it if at all possible in the future - and we've
never used it since making that decision.  I still have it on hand if we ever
need it but before I go for the glucagon, I now go for either a tube of
liquid glucose or a tube of cake icing, or a juice box (or when they were
little, a bottle).  My kids always seemed to have the sucking reflex even
when they were really out of it.  With the cake icing, you squirt some
between the teeth and gums.  If you stroke your child's cheek or throat,
they'll usually swallow.  Obviously, if they can't swallow, get the glucagon.

Sorry you're having this problem.  It might be worth having a higher target
number.  Hang in there.

Pat McComas