[IP] Re: Diabetes Story in the Atlanta Constitution

 On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Handsfield, James H. wrote:
> > This morning the Atlanta Constitution carried a story about a paper
> > by the CDC that the national prevalence of diabetes increased 33% over
> > past decade.  There are a few inaccuracies in the story, but otherwise
> > informative.

To which Michael replied:
> We must be careful to differentiate Type I and Type II in these stories.
> The stories themselves rarely do, but from reading the same/similar
> article in our paper this morning, it's clear they are talking about Type
> The thing that is really unknown is whether the incidence is really up or
> just that the cases are being reported the previously went unreported
> because of a lack of awareness on the part of doctors and patients about
> the need to test for the presence of type II in routine physicals.

I think it is both increased incidence and better reporting.  The ADA once
claimed there were16 million people with diabetes with about half
undiagnosed.  Due to better screening efforts, they now claim 16 million
diabetics with only about one third undiagnosed.  This would account for
some of the increase in incidence.  It's alarming, however, that there is
such a huge increase in type 2 diabetes (not MODY) in children.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 -  6/9/98