Re: [IP] Diabetes Story in the Atlanta Constitution

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Handsfield, James H. wrote:

> This morning the Atlanta Constitution carried a story about a paper released
> by the CDC that the national prevalence of diabetes increased 33% over the
> past decade.  There are a few inaccuracies in the story, but otherwise it's
> informative.
> http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/newsatlanta/diabetes0824.html
> I'll try to find the actual press release and post the link shortly.
We must be careful to differentiate Type I and Type II in these stories.
The stories themselves rarely do, but from reading the same/similar
article in our paper this morning, it's clear they are talking about Type II.
The thing that is really unknown is whether the incidence is really up or
just that the cases are being reported the previously went unreported
because of a lack of awareness on the part of doctors and patients about
the need to test for the presence of type II in routine physicals.