[IP] Diabetes up sharply, CDC reports

Diabetes up sharply, CDC reports
Experts blame couch- potato culture of 1990sASSOCIATED PRESS
Aug. 23 — Diabetes increased at an alarming rate in the United States during
the past decade — rising 70 percent among people in their 30s — and health
experts are blaming the wired-up culture and fast-food diet of the 1990s.

DIABETES IS closely tied to obesity, and doctors say the higher incidence of
the disease is due in large part to America’s weight problem.
Obesity is “not just a cosmetic issue anymore,” said Dr. Frank Vinicor,
director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s diabetes
The share of the population diagnosed with diabetes jumped 33 percent
nationally, to 6.5 percent, between 1990 and 1998, the government said
Wednesday. The rise crossed races and age groups but was sharpest among people
ages 30 to 39.

 The opinions expressed here are mine and no one elses.

 If you like them you have my permission to use them as
 long as my wife gets credit for any good ideas (who I
 probably got them from in the first place)