Re: [IP] training dog to sense reasctions, was Sue's profile

I train dogs to be service dogs. Dogs cannot be trained to detect siezures
or low blood sugars or high blood sugars. It is something some dogs can
sense either by chemical changes, electrical changes or body smells.
Science has not yet been able to figure out which of the three. One can
train a dog to respond to a siezure or a low BG .
I have a service dog that detects my siezures about 1/2 hour before I have
one. He also is trained to respond to a siezure. The same goes with blood
If you need a dog such as this it would be best for you to go to a
service-dog list and ask questions and get one from a non-profit
organization that can train the dog properly so it can be a legal service
dog. Dogs have to go through alot of training and the training for response
begins at about 18 months. So it takes about 2 years and there is a ton of
responsibility involved because these are more than pets. There is so much
to the training.
Yes one can train thier own. But also one needs to know the laws about
service dogs. and know how to train a dog or hire a private trainer that
knows what they are doing.
It is costly so expect to spend between 5,000.00-up.
Before you get a dog there are certain personality testing and other
testing that needs to be done before any training begins to make sure the
dog will train and respond and has the temperment and such for being a
service dogs. Not any dog can become a service dog.
I hope this helps some.
Ginny and Beamer siezure alert- mobility- siezure response- certified
CEO- Helper Dog Systems, Inc.
PS we are non profit but we work in our own area to help those who
financially are not able to afford the full cost. I just wanted to share
some of what a service dog is about