Re: [IP] Gastr and propulsid

> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:56:14 -0700
> From: Jack Granowski <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Gastr and propulsid
> This is a subject that has been brought up regularly here.  Propulsid
> has stopped being produced
> What are the current fads, medicines, for treatment of gastroparesis?
> - --
> Jack Granowski
> email @ redacted

I just had a a gastric emptying test yesterday and am waiting to hear from
my gastroenterologist.  I had been on Propulsid off and on for years and it
turned out to be the cause of severe constipation! Once off it The
constipation resolved.

I will probably be put on erythromycin for a while as the nighttime vomiting
is persistent, but I may also opt for Domperidone which my
gastroenterologist  suggested.  Problem with Domperidone is that it causes
an increase in Prolactin levels as evidenced by breast milk (at 60 years of
age it doesn't thrill me.)  Since I have a small prolactinoma (a common
tumor of the pituitary gland) as shown on an MRI, I hesitate to start the
Domperidone.  It would be difficult to know if the increase in Prolactin
levels were caused by a growth of the tumor or the Domperidone.  I have to
think about that.  By the way Reglan does the same thing and also gives me
panic reactions so that's out of the question.

The gastroparesis bothers me mainly at night so that even though I bolus
using a square wave, I often go hypo two hours after dinner and my bg shoots
up hours later.  Very unpredictable. I often have to bolus at 3 AM to wake
up with a decent morning bg.

If I eat my main meal at lunch and stick to semi liquids for dinner I do
better but it kills any socialization  on my part.  Sigh...

There is a pump that is implanted to treat severe gastroparesis.  Check it

Denise Guerin
Type 1 46 years