[IP] Re: Heart Disease

> Bonnie Richardson wrote:
> >
> > Since one of the major complications of diabetes is heart disease, for
> > we are all at great risk.  And those of us with high cholestrol or
> > history at even greater risk, I wonder how many of us, particulary
> > are taking a cholesterol lowering drug?

 Natalie A. Sera replied:
> .................<snip>...................................
> There is good evidence that the use of statin drugs DOES lower the
> incidence of heart disease -- I don't know if they've looked
> specifically at diabetics, but since I know that my chances aren't
> improved by doing nothing, I decided to do SOMETHING! This seems like a
> good gamble!

I know everyone in the IP group knows their cholesterol levels but  many
PCPs are not aware that cholesterol goals for people with diabetes are lower
than for the general population.  Therefore, they often begin therapy too
late and not aggressively enough.  Optimal goals, according to ADA, for
diabetics are intermediate between someone with vascular disease and those
with high-risk coronary disease:
LDL  <100  (drug therapy should begin if  = or >130)
HDL  >45
Triglyceride  <200

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956