Re: [IP] Carb counting?

In a message dated 08/22/2000 12:15:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< > Carrie,
 > When you were 122, ate the 18 pieces of licorice  and then tested and were
 > 232, how long after eating the candy were you 232?  If it was an hour
 > you may be coming back down to normal as the humalog bolus of 3 continues
 > do its job!
 > Kelly
 Yes it was only 1 hour later but when i check again right before dinner
 which was an hour after that it was only down to 208 ( so that was 2 hours
 after i had eaten the twizzlers). Any ideas?  Any more advise would be
 greatly appreciated. >>

My CDE tells me that I need to wait four hours after eating and/or giving a
bolus before being concerned about a still high blood sugar.  She says that
it takes four hours for the food to get out of my system and for the bolus of
insulin to do its job.  So, if I am going to have a snack or meal before the
four hours are up after eating a meal/snack, I would bolus only for the
carbs, not to correct the higher blood sugar at that time.