[IP] Re: Weight Gain--Whining in Colorado

> Nicotine is a stimulant and one will gain varying amounts of weight
> quitting nicotine.
> That and the probability of 'snacking' a bit more frequently is what
> contributes to the weight gain of quitting smoking.
> Drinking plenty of water, and non-calorie drinks, going for many walks
> hanging out in smoke free areas will help.
> I'm wondering how many who have quit nicotine have noticed improved
> control?

I did, but that was pre pump.

I quit smoking in '76, because I finally realized that they would not
have a cure soon which is what  I was told in '66 and smoking, along
with dm, would quickly kill me.  I was dm and on a diet, I did not gain
weight.  I have since then seen a study that showed that there was no
difference between recent quiters and non quiters.  A third of the
population gained weight, a third lost and a third stayed the same,
which was the same as those that quit (or whatever the proper
percentages are).  You just heard from the people that gained after they
quit.  If you're looking for a reason to not quit, this will do.  If
you're looking for a reason to snack when you do quit, this will do
also.  The important thing is that quitting is so important, ESPECIALLY
for dm'ers, it should not even be part of the discussion.
Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed.
 - Winston Churchill