[IP] Humalog infusion site failure

> Jim, I'm just curious . . . why would the type of insulin (H or R)
> make a difference in how long the site lasts for you?
Several reasons. Different insulin preparations have differing
components in their "buffers" or carrier solutions. Some of these, in
particular the phenol compounds see to cause problems with their
users. In addition, Humalog is artificially modified compared to
"standard" insulin with a couple of the pieces "swapped" in their
position on the chain. This helps give it the fast action, but also
changes the way it appears to the body.

The actual cause of the differences in a person's "site" reaction is
not known, but we speculate that it is a mild allergic reaction to
something in the Humalog that is unique and not in other insulins or
their prep components, or some combination of both factors. Suffice
it to say that the reaction is common enough that up to 5% of the IP
members may experience it based on the data collected to date from
hundreds of list members. While this info is ancedotal, the database
is large enough to definetly say that "something" unusual is going