Carb measurement (was RE: [IP] Carb counting?)

Does anyone know what the scientific procedure is for determining carb count?

I seem to remember a very crude experiment in jr. high school general
science in which we burned something and then measured the heat.  My
recollection is that this gave us a way to figure out (with jr. high
school level accuracy) the calories in the thing we burned, but my
memory is fuzzy and almost certainly wrong.  But what does a lab do
to measure carbs?

I was at a food coop over the weekend with all kinds of
healthy-looking foods for sale in bins but where the FDA labels were
few and far between.  It would be fun if there was a way to figure it

I guess I could use my son and as a carb-meter using his bg/carb
ratio, but I don't think that is how the pros do it.

Just curious,
father of Trent, 4, waiting to get his pump hooked up