Re: [IP] Joslin Clinic

In a message dated 8/21/2000 8:58:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> o, the key thing is are the same docs still there? Most
>  university trained endos are well trained and very capable.  The important
>  thing to remember is how do you get alolng with your doc. Can you
>  communicate with him or her?  Do you feel comfortable talking to him or
>  her? Can you discuss the most intimate details of your life with your
>  These are the most important factors in a doctor patient relationship. If
>  your doc feels like a family member to you you are lucky.

I agree but there is also a benefit to seeing an endo at a large center
focused entirely on diabetes care...a leader in research and innovative
patient care.  I agree that the affiliates vary a great deal...as I said
Joslin New Britain is excellent because they have an impressive, full team
who frankly "know their stuff".  But Joslin New York is less impressive and
the care seems piecemeal (no nutritionist on staff etc).  I will say
this...when I have seen endocrinologists whose practice is not limited to
diabetes I have not found them to be as astute about the latest trends in
patient care and research and I've been well aware that a diabetic was
considered an "uninteresting case".  As usual YVMV and finding the best fit
is up to the individual.