[IP] Re: Food for thought

Recently Alecia wrote:

> Since there is a strong link between
> diabetes and heart disease, I canít help but wonder if
> the healthy lifestyles forced upon us with a diabetic
> diet werenít always such a bad thing....So, Iím
> curious, have many of you gained weight since starting
> the pump?

I actually lost weight, but only partly due to virtuous practices :-)  . I'd
been on a constant-intake meal plan for so long, my habits kept me eating
the same amounts after starting pumping. At the same time, though, I _did_
make a conscious decision to try to keep to the same meal plan as far as
possible, since it was a healthier choice. I used to tell people, if I had
to have a disease, at least diabetes forced me to eat healthy!

The reason I lost weight instead of maintaining is that my endo suggested I
cut out my former mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and bedtime snacks for a few
weeks, just to make our basal and bolus calculations easier. Since I got
those figured out, I have started snacking again, but not in the amounts I
used to.

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."