[IP] A meditation

I've been thinking, experiencing and studying again... so here goes...

When I was single, I asked God for a wife to make me happy.
God gave me a wonderful wife who loves me and cares for me and I was not
When I was diagnosed with diabetes I asked God for a cure, or at least the
ability to survive with minimal difficulty.
God gave me a decent medical team, MDI, and bg monitoring, and I was not
When I was childless I asked God for children to make me happy.
God gave me twin sons who are doing well in spite of a handicap and I was
not happy.
When my diabetes became difficult to manage I asked God for help.
God gave me a pump and the ability to use it to manage my bg and keep it
decent most of the time, and I was not happy.
When I needed encouragement in managing life with the pump, I asked God
for friends who understood and could stand with me.
God gave me the I-P list and I was not happy.

Then I stopped worrying about being made happy, because all that I
had asked for I had been given, and none of it made me happy.
I resolved to do the best I could while being unhappy.

I started trying to make my wife happy,
	my children happy,
	help others on the I-P list to find slivers of happiness,

And I discovered that when I stopped asking for others
to make me happy
And began thinking instead of ways to make them happy

I found seeds of happiness stirring
And I saw the smile of God
as I began to understand
Happiness cannot be pursued, bought, sought or found.
It can only be given, and in the act of giving
Crystalizes in the heart of the giver.

And now for the next sermon...
later, perhaps....

Rev. Randall Winchester