[IP] Growth and DM

OK, I'm VERY behind in my digests, but wanted to add my story.

David wrote:  (email @ redacted)

Along with the thread on height and diabetes, I am 6 feet and was diagnosed
when I was 5 yrs old.  However, my birth weight was excessive ( 9#, 13
oz).  Just wondering if others who were dx'ed early, like me, were larger
at birth than "normal".

Sally (DizzyDG) writes:

I was premature and weighed in at 4 lbs 11 oz.  I got IDDM at age 20 months
after a bout with the mumps.  My Mom told me that I was a very placid baby --
I didn't start walking until I was 18 months old.
My family doctor referred my parents to a doctor who specialized in treating
children with IDDM, Dr. Paul L. Barclay.  His daughter had been diagnosed
early, that is why he specialized in diabetes.

I don't remember all the details and can't ask my parents because they are
both gone from this world, but I remember Dr. Barclay talking about "diabetic
dwarfs" and being put on a high protein diet. I remember him talking about
it, so I KNOW I wasn't put on the high protein diet at onset.  I must've been
in grade school, because I remember at lunch I had to have 90 grams of meat,
(which is about 4 slices of lunchmeat), that was a LOT for me -- I was a VERY
slow eater anyways. Lunchtime was always hard for me in school.
These were the days of urine tests and the
every-3-month-prick-of-the-finger-with-the-lancet-from-h*** at the doctors
office.  It tore my finger up.
I started menstration at 12 or 13.  My hands are pretty small.  My 11 and 12
year old daughters have bigger hands than me, and they both wear a bigger
shoe size than me.  I wear a 6.5 or a 7 and they wear a 7.5 and 8.0
I'm 5' 4" tall.  My 12 year old is my height. (Soon to be taller than me!)
I'm the same height that my Mom was and my Dad was 6'.  Two siblings are of
"average" height and one sis is 5' 11" and another brother who is 6' 5". So .
. . all-in-all I don't know if the high protein diet helped me out or if I
just got the "small" genes of the family.
Go figure.  Thanks for listening.

Sally =o)
IDDM for 35 of my 37 years
Assimilated : 7 December 1999