[IP] Re: Tricare anyone?

We use Tricare and they were wonderful. They approved the pump
(Disetronic - which we chose) within two days of the dr putting
in the request, no hassles!!! When I spoke with them they were
really gung-ho about it and hoped to get more people on it. We
live in the Pacific NW region, WA state. Where does your friend
live? Are they T1 or T2 (might make a difference. My daughter is
T1.) Different regions sometimes do things differently. I was
under the impression though (from talking to others around the
country) that the pump was covered in all regions but WHICH pump
was covered varies (ours supposedly lets you choose which pump
now.) It is covered under Durable Medical Equipment and the
cost-share depends on your rank and, I believe, whether the
sponsor is retired or active duty. The lower your rank, the less
you pay. Higher rank pays more, and retired pays even more
(pretty ridiculous if you ask me!) We ended up paying about $762
copay (active duty sponsor, O-4) and that was the copay for the
pump AND a year of supplies according to Disetronic.
I know who to talk to in Colorado (main office) to get benefits
covered, if your friend needs that info (I've had to wrestle with
Tricare twice on other issues and won. The way they handle
homebirth now - in my area anyway - is a direct result of MY
involvement, which I am quite proud of.) :)

Bob said:
I was just wondering if anyone out there has had experience with
Tricare and the pump??  I have a neighbor who really wants and
needs to get on the pump who is being jerked around by them and
would really like to hear from anyone with that experience.  If
you would rather not post it I would be glad to hear from you
privately! Thanks!

Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children) due 4/12
"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Cherokee proverb