Re: [IP] Sneaking Food, more thoughts, & disagree with Sara SP

I can't resist another posting on this issue.  I actually am having second
thoughts about the idea of putting the five year old back on shots.  Even if
you do it in a nice way, just to reduce the short term stress from the pump,
there has to be a better solution.  After all, the child secretly ate on
shots as well.  So I now retract my statement advocating that consideration
should be given to returning to shots. I agree with Curtis, that among those
who know, the pump really is the standard and shots are primitive.  Our
family spent the first 2 years after diagnosis learning shots, only to have
to crank it up again and learn the new pump system (because guess what - the
shots didn't work).  We had more motivation and energy immediately following
diagnosis, so why squander it on a system you will probably ditch anyway?
Why wouldn't you learn carbs, insulin and everything else within the context
of the pump system?  I've heard all the answers to this question, but I
disagree with almost all of them.  I am tired of the attitude "only the best
can handle the pump", so we have to see if you're good enough for it.  People
shouldn't have to fight to go on a pump. The medical community needs to learn
the pump system and lead their appropriate patient populations towards the
pump; not away from it.  Give me a break.  If a reasonably intelligent family
choses the pump at diagnosis, then they should have the opportunity.  Of
course, we were never told about the pump at diagnosis.  Now to you, Sara.
You are so convincing in your e-mails about the role of parents.  Then I
think I read in one of your postings that you, yourself, are not a parent!
Set me straight if I'm wrong about that.  If you don't have parenting
experience, go easy on this one.  Being a teacher, counselor, or former child
with parents, doesn't count. Take my word for it, parenting is really unique,
complex and completely different from any other job on earth.  If you haven't
been there, done that, you are only guessing.
I feel better now.