[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #420

Thank you for the support. My wife and I have decided
not to take the pump away. She has a history of being
'naughty' to get attention, and she could need it from
any number of things. She has a 8 week old sister (and
still hasn't accepted her 2 year old brother), she is
starting kindergarten in September, her summer wasn't
really great (she only went to half of her camp
because she was going on the pump & we haven't done
anything fun but home-improv projects)for her. I feel
the snacks she is sneaking weren't really high sugar
snacks she craves. They were saltines & food her
brother was eating. She could have been mad he could
eat anytime, while she has to make arrangements or
notify someone. We instructed her to let us know when
she has taking extra food immediately, so we can cover
her with a bolus. She has been getting her snacks as
she was when she was on injections(she seems to depend
on them). She gets treats frequently, and is rarely
denied (as is the teaching here for children w/ DM so
they do not lead a restricted life and feel different
from other kids). We are close to getting her ratios,
thanks to my wifes endless noodling. I have even
called in sick yesterday (I can't believe what a
thread it's turned into), we had taken the family to
an amusement park (something she has been bugging us
since spring about), and out to dinner at her favorite
neighborhood restaurant. She was given a cone for
snack, and this made her very happy. I think the more
we make out of it, the more she will see it has an
effect. Since she's not deprieved, and we won't make a
big deal out of it, I suspect it will go away. She has
told us she want's to be on the pump, and was VERY
upset (bawling tantrum) when we suggested taking it
away. Something to use later on if it does rear its
ugly head again.

> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:55:26 -0500
> From: Kress Family <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] more baloney (no carb) <g>
>Please let us know what your solution was when you
>do. It may serve to help other parents with the same
>Cindy, mom to 13 y/o Noah, dx at age 9, pumping
> since 7/99 and
> Micah, age 10

Do You Yahoo!?