Re: [IP] more baloney (no carb) <g>

Very well said, Curtis.  To pump or not to pump should not even be a
factor in this issue.  Why would anyone consider taking the pump
away?  The sneaking food problem would still be there and sneaking
food or eating extra food on MDI would STILL be a problem if extra
insulin wasn't given.  There would be nothing gained, but a huge loss
in the freedom from injections, not having to worry about background
insulins and how they factor into the equation and their peak times,
duration, etc. etc., being able to fine-tune insulin with small
adjustments (highly beneficial for younger children), being able to
sleep in, and all the other benefits of the pump.

I agree with the previous posts who feel a five year old eating food
isn't an act which needs disciplined.  There were great suggestions
on fixing the problem by offering a special treat or reward of some
kind if she can go x number of hours without eating carbs.  You might
even give her a timer which will indicate when her fasting time is
up.  5 year olds don't have a real concept of time so this might give
her a goal and turn it into a game.  After each 1/2 to one hour the
alarms sounds and she can have a small snack (non-carb of course).
Just a thought.  I think the key is getting your goal accomplished
but not causing any more stress to your daughter's life.  You sound
like very conscientious parents who want to do what's right.  I'm
sure you'll get it figured out.  Please let us know what your
solution was when you do.  It may serve to help other parents with
the same issues.

Cindy, mom to 13 y/o Noah, dx at age 9, pumping since 7/99 and
Micah, age 10