Re: [IP] c-peptide

A. Bender, M. D. wrote:
> Pyxee writes her c-peptide is to high for insurance benefits. If this is
> Medicare, you need a letter from your endo that states that your bg's are
> too high and A1c Hgb's are bad without the pump. That only pumping controls
> your bg's. There is no way to make c-peptide go down except islet cell
> failure. I don't know how receptive they will be to a letter. the carriers
> make money by refusing to pay for things. Just because you are type 2
> doesn't mean you are not eligible for the pump.

Well, so far as I know, the Medicare regulations specifically state that
the C-Peptide must be under 0.5. Seems to me that this regulation was
written this way to make sure that Type 2's could not get pumps, partly
because of the expense of pumping, and partly because Type 2's make up
the VAST majority of diabetics on Medicare, and if a significant
percentage of them opted to go with the pump, it would cost a bundle.

Most insurance companies model their plans after Medicare -- if Medicare
approves something, they will, too, so I expect to see that kind of
C-Peptide limitation written into more and more policies.

It's really a shame, because pumping can be very effective with Type 2's
and really should be made available to more of them, rather than less!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted