[IP] Sneaking Food

I have 3 sons: Chris 15, Eric 14 (dx at 20 months), and Sean 11 (dx at 25
months).  We haven't had many problems with sneaking food though it did
happen on occasion.

I think one thing that made it easier was that everybody always ate on the
same schedule - even though Chris didn't have diabetes, I didn't really want
him eating all the time so he snacked at the same times as the others and we
all ate our meals together.  I think it would be really hard on a 5 year old
to be told that they couldn't eat when everyone else was eating in front of
them.  I don't think they could begin to understand that and would just feel
deprived and angry and lonely.  Could the rest of your family (not including
the baby of course) stay on the same schedule and eat with her?

My kids, at 11 and 14, still don't like basal checks and complain about them.
 I think that the more the parents make a big deal of it, the more the kids
will fight the restrictions.  Most kids sometimes love to push their parents'

To make it easier for everybody, I don't do more than a couple of days in a
row.  If it takes longer than that, we just test a little more often on the
"off" days and correct as necessary.  I keep a bunch of free food (sugar free
popsicles, jello, soda, gum) around and they can take as much of that as they
want, any time they want.  If they are really hungry and feel they can't wait
to eat, we break out the protein (mostly bologna and string cheese).  The
funny thing is that sometimes it's the thought that they can't eat that keeps
them thinking about food.  I find that if we just stay busy on the basal
check days, and if they know there are things they can eat whenever they
want, things go much smoother.

Sometimes you can get in a basal check without telling them!  For example, if
I want to check the lunchtime basals, we would eat a big breakfast.  Then, as
lunchtime approaches, I suggest we go somewhere they like - the mall, the
park, the pool, etc. and happen to be out and busy at the time they would be
asking to eat.  They will say they're hungry after a little while.  I'll
usually buy them a soda to hold them off for a little while and suggest we
finish what we're doing and then we'll get a treat (lunch at McDonald's? or
lunch and then an ice cream?).  You can get in a few this way without them
even knowing you're doing it.

If this won't work for your daughter, you could give her lunch but make it
all protein (bacon and eggs?  hotdogs or hamburger without the buns?)

When we do basal checks, it's spread out over a couple of weeks.  It may not
be as efficient as doing it all in a few days but I find it much less
stressful - both for me and the kids.

Good luck!

Pat McComas